Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sweetness and Light.


Justin Masterson is a freakin' peach. That's all there is to it-he's absolutely adorable. He's a giant who looks like he's twelve, he's very humble and very probably the nicest person anyone would ever meet. Anywhere.


He possesses a beatific smile, which he uses liberally. He, and it, is infectious. He has the power to brighten anyone's day and he isn't afraid to use it, even on umpires. I don't remember which game it was during the playoffs (I am fairly certain it was against the Angels) but there was a spectacular play behind him and Masterson turned to the umpire and said some version of "Did you see that?" and the umpire walks away kind of nodding and laughing.


He's a goof who starts off interviews with "Oh my goodness."


Asked Masterson about the Sea Dogs dinner:



"It's hard to believe I'm the guest of honor. Why would people want to see me?"


Answer: Adorability.


At the end of last season, Masterson did an interview with Baseball Prospectus. This probably sounds saccharine but it's very sweet.


Said Masterson about what he'd learned since spring training:



"Coming here—I think the most fun I've had in baseball is being here in the major leagues, because these guys are great. Everyone wants to win, because that's what it's all about, and no matter what your differences are, you come together, but this is probably the most fun I've ever had in a year. It's been challenging, but it's been a lot of fun."


Awwww.

No comments: