Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Growing Pains.


Little Jonny Lester is growing up.


Jon Lester received the Hutch Award today in Seattle. The award goes to the major-leaguer who "best exemplifies the dedication to team, family, and community and exemplifies the honor, courage, and perseverance of the man the award...is named for, Seattle sports legend Fred Hutchison."


Lester and Hall of Famer, Tom Seaver (hence the title) spent the morning hanging out with the kiddos of the Hutch school--a K-12 school affiliated with the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance. Lester who has generally been reticent about discussing his cancer he had this to say today:



"At first, I just wanted to come back and play, and don't ask me about it. I got frustrated at times, because it seemed like that's all I talked about, instead of baseball. Now it's to the point I'm talking about baseball more, and it's a little easier to answer those questions."

Awww. Baby's growing up.


Perhaps because he was in a room of people who had had similar experiences to his own, Lester also shared this story:



"Lester described his final day of treatment there, and as he was laying in bed, with all of the scans done and the results clean, the nurses came in and handed him a baseball that had been signed by the hospital staff members that had cared for him. "I've been pretty fortunate to collect a lot of memorabilia over the years, some pretty [good] names such as Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan. ... This ball, still, to this day, means more to me than any of those baseballs, jerseys or bats or cleats that I've received over the years," Lester said. "It still sits on my mantel, and it means more to me than anything in this world."

And this? (regarding his mother):



"The past two years I know have been very, very tough for her. She has been through a lot of crap from us, to say the least, and she's put up with a lot of sickness, a lot of moody days, and she's seen both of the men in her life go through something that I wouldn't wish on anybody."

There's some real maturity there.


Also, you'll be happy to know that Papa Lester is doing well.


Photo from the Seattle Times.

No comments: