Monday, March 3, 2008

A Tie, A Loss, and a New Drew

During the first game of the day, Josh Beckett tied the Twins 2-2 in an un-packed house. During the press conference he said:


"It felt like we were in the loser's bracket of an AAU tournament. I spent my whole life in the loser's bracket of AAU tournaments. Because I was hitting fourth, probably."


They're better than the fountain of youth, those good humor waters of Fort Myers.





Kyle Snyder has massive hands. It just needed to be pointed out.


He went three score-less innings, giving up two hits and a walk. Dan Kolb didn't fair as well. (Though I couldn't tell you how poorly he did. It's hard to pay close attention to the game with work getting in the way.) Masterson also pitched poorly. The only other pitcher I remember anything about is Breslow. He struck out his first batter, the second either flew out or was put out, he walked the next two batters, and I think he struck out the last batter. Can you tell I'm pulling for him?


Offensively, not much happened. Jacoby had a sacrifice fly and maybe stole a base. I think he may have had a base hit, as well.


It's really very difficult to recap a game a couple hours after it ended without any notes. I'll do better next time.





What I really wanted to talk about was the new and (hopefully) improved J.D. Drew. He seems to be another member of the team to have partaken of the Fort Myers waters. Last week he told the Herald that he wanted to get into the Oval Office so he could look for secret drawers like in National Treasure II (which was very cute) and then on NESN's Red Sox Spring Break tonight he told Tina Cervasio (clearly, it was filmed before he got at the waters but close enough) that when he played backyard ball with his brothers, his Granny played shortstop. The whole interview (which mostly consisted of Drew driving around his hometown) seemed very un-guarded and the comment about his Granny made me smile.

No comments: