Saturday, March 1, 2008

Mark My Words

Tomorrow may just be Dougie's day. Consider: Yesterday, both Varitek and Kottaras hit home runs. Today, the only ball that left the park, left off the bat of Dustin Brown; which leaves Dougie and Cash as the only catchers who haven't hit home runs off the Twins. With Dougie almost certainly catching tomorrow, he'll be the next up to continue the streak (and if Kevin Cash goes to the Marlins game on Monday, he'd be off the hook.)



There was no television coverage but I love listening to the games on the radio. My dad always preferred to listen to the game on the radio. We'd drive around weekend afternoons, crank open the windows, stop for ice cream somewhere or head down to Misquamicut, bring the little radio to the beach. Just chill-me, my dad, and baseball. Good times. Of course, dad now lives in Florida, gas is way too expensive to go driving around for three hours, and I was listening to the radio via computer because I don't have an actual radio in my house but the idea is the same.



It was a long game. Neither of the starting pitchers threw particularly well. Lester exhibited some of the same command issues he's had in the past, he loaded the bases twice in the little over one inning he pitched. By my count he threw forty-three pitches, twenty-three of them for balls and seven for strikes. He said he was nervous because it was the first game and that's why he over-threw pitches, and that he was being picky and not going after guys. I could understand being nervous at the World Series or at Opening Day but this was a spring training game. Then again, I'm about as far from a professional (let alone little league) level pitcher as you could possibly get, so what do I know. One would hope that over the next three weeks he can conquer those nerves and settle down. Perhaps by following Josh Beckett around like a lost puppy something will rub off on him.



Papelbon and Hansack both had nice outings. The shortest half an inning was thrown by David Pauley, seven pitches at the bottom of the seventh, it took me by surprise when it was over. And Jon Switzer finished the game well.


Offensively, besides Dustin Brown's home run the only extra base hit was a double by Chris Carter in the second inning. They had a total of thirteen hits and seven walks. If I was the type to gloat, I might point out that so far this spring training season Ellsbury is hitting .250 to Crisp's .666 but I'm not, so I won't.

No comments: