Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Just Catching Up.



This story is a couple days old but I was away and I like it.


J.D. Drew told Rob Bradford:



"My thought process is that I just hope the fans back me and say, 'J.D. turned it around and we saw what's he about at the end.' More than anything you need your home base to be behind you, especially when you carry as much of a contingent as we do. You definitely don't want them against you. There were times last year when I struggling and I felt like saying to them, 'It's not like I'm trying to make outs. I'm trying to get this thing fixed.' And then, all of a sudden, I got to the point where I wanted to be."

The thing that struck me about that quote was that he said "we." It would have been almost as easy to say "the Red Sox" but he said "we" like he finally thinks he's part of the team. He always seemed to be so solitary and (maybe it's just me projecting) miserable. I can't imagine how awful being friendless and mostly living out of a hotel must be. But Drew and I really aren't all that similar personality wise so maybe he was secretly happy as an oyster.


And he does care if he sucks. Good to know.

No comments: