Sunday, February 24, 2008

Happy Birthday Mikey Lowell!




I know I said yesterday that Sean Casey was beating out Mike Lowell for my most-favoritest baseball player and I don't want to seem fickle but I think today it's Mike Lowell. And how could you not like Mike Lowell?


Besides being a good ballplayer, he's intelligent and articulate. Not to rip on other baseball players but it's his ability to give a thoughtful, interesting, and understandable interview that catapaulted him to the forefront of my affections. He's got that dry, dry, dry sense of humor (and yes, three drys were required.) He seems to have a good understanding of the world (which sounds totally pompous on my part) and his place in it, meaning he doesn't take himself too seriously and he has his priorities straight. He's got a beautiful smile that begs you to smile back (I'm sitting here grinning stupidly at my computer.) And he shares a birthday with Bronson Arroyo and my grandmother.


Sadly, while he seems to enjoy his time in Boston and accoring to the Cape Cod Times enjoyed his time he spent playing on the Cape, he's a Miami boy at heart and plans to move back there when he retires. I don't know that I can blame him but it's too bad really, the baseball commentary of Mike Lowell would have been very interesting to hear.


Happy Birthday Mike and many happy returns of the day!

No comments: