Monday, February 25, 2008

Golfing with the Good Guys



I don't know who this guy (no, not Tim Wakefield) is; he seems to be a weatherman for the Naples Daily News but who's ever heard of a weatherman that works for a newspaper? He's probably inconsequential and he doesn't write well. It is, however, the only thing I've been able to find about the golf tournament last Friday.


Random guy, Jim Syoen, played in the tournament in Javier Lopez' foursome. The point of his blog entry is...well, I don't know what it is, unless it's to bitch about baseball fans. He tells me nothing interesting and he seems more than a little peeved that Lopez and, later, Wakefield weren't jerks. Maybe he was annoyed that he probably paid a hefty fee to participate and he wasn't getting the special treatment he felt he deserved, but I like the fact that they're good guys. Expecting baseball players to turn down autograph requests at a charity event seems a little silly, especially expecting such behaviour from Mr. Nice Guy Himself, Tim Wakefield. What do I know though?


But I find I have lied. He did tell me something interesting. It seems that Javier Lopez played tuba in the high school band. I just can't see it. He probably started as a trumpet player and was switched to tuba either do to ineptitude or the fact that he was too big for the trumpet. Either way, I've got to think that left-handed tuba playing must be very awkward.

No comments: