Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A New Guy.

I think that I might like Takashi Saito. During his meeting with the media today he shared this story:

"Papelbon was one of the first guys I met when I came out here the other day, and I ran into him at the supermarket the other day and Penny was there also. Penny was explaining to Papelbon that I was Korean. I was saying, ‘I’m Japanese! I’m Japanese!”

Given that he seems to like Brad Penny:

“When I joined the Dodgers in 2006 [Penny] was there and on the field and off the field there were a lot of great conversations about baseball and about life. We have a great relationship and I’m excited that he’s here too.”


it amused me.

In college, I had a class with a Korean economics professor who made it perfectly clear that calling a Korean person Japanese or Chinese was a big no-no. Calling a Chinese person Korean or Japanese was even worse. But the biggest sin of all was calling a Japanese person Chinese or Korean. They're not huge fans of each other. [Aside: Dr. Kim was great; very funny. He had this theory about Asian and American cultures and the types of rice that they eat. According to Dr. Kim, Asians eat sticky rice: it's shorter grained-like Asians-and the grains stick close together-like Asians. Americans eat fluffy rice: it has taller grains-like Americans-and there is more space between the individual grains -like Americans.]

No comments: