Monday, February 23, 2009

Home.



I suppose it's not really fair to make fun of the musical tastes of a fifteen or sixteen-year-old Kevin Youkilis. We all do stupid things when we're young and naive. But you can go ahead and put another tic in the "Kevin Youkilis is a tool" column. In the video (which was taken during yesterday's picture day) Youkilis reveals that the ring tone on his cellphone is Pearl Jam's Betterman. He also expresses an appreciation for Adam Sandler. I don't know which is worse.

I originally planned on skipping this video. Part of it, though, was asking the players which park they liked playing in besides Fenway; Pedroia likes the rally monkey, Ellsbury likes playing in front of his family in Seattle, and David Ortiz is appreciative of the short porch in Yankee Stadium. But the reason I changed my mind on the video was Jason Varitek's answer: "Besides Fenway, my favorite ballpark is Fenway because it's home." He starts off sounding like he's making a joke but then he gets to that last clause, his voice changes, and he sounds so sincere. It brought a little tear to my eye.

No comments: