Sunday, February 22, 2009

In His Wake.



There aren't too many questions during this spring training. Besides a little bit of intrigue in the shortstop department and maybe a concern or two about the health of extra outfielders, the only spot really up for grabs is that of the backup catcher. Of course, with someone having to catch Wakefield it's not as easy a task to pick one as it might be otherwise.

Peter Gammons takes on the problem in the clip. He talks with Kottaras (which he pronounces "Cot-er-us" not "Co-tar-us" but he's probably right), Bard, and Wakefield.

Georgie K. says that the goal is:

"Just to relax and don't give a target because Wake's throwing to a general area. So just relax, keep the body loose, and let the ball come to you."

Bard:

"There's no really way to practice for it. There's only one guy in the world right now that throws a world class knuckleball. I think the biggest thing is just being aggressive, having the mindset of, you know, Red Sox Nation isn't on my back every pitch--if you miss a ball, you miss a ball and I just have to control what I can control."

And always the gentleman Wakefield chimes in with:

"I think everybody that I've thrown to already this spring is has, you know in my opinion, got the hands good enough to catch it."

No comments: