Monday, February 16, 2009

The Gambler.


Jonathan Papelbon is an idiot--but that's not news. He's also a liar but that's probably irrelevant. And he's, supposedly, a terrible poker player which may be relevant.


According to him, the contract dance went like this: He requested a four year deal. The Sox turned him down and instead offered two years and fifteen to sixteen million dollars-which doesn't make much sense given their history of trying to buy out free agent years (Papelbon would still have a year left of arbitration after that contract expired.) Papelbon then turned down the two years in favor of one year, $6.25 million; hoping, I guess, to get rich through arbitration.


But his actions don't make a hell of a lot of sense. He would have to win a $9.75 million contract for 2010 to break even. He's had shoulder problems. He was gassed at the end of last season. He should have taken the money and headed for the hills but says Papelbon:



"But I'm a gambling man, I guess. I already have a little security. What's the difference between $80 million and $100 million over the course of your career? I'm from Mississippi, man. Rent ain't too high in Mississippi, man. That's just me.''



What the gamble he's taking is, I'm not entirely certain.

No comments: