Saturday, January 23, 2010

School Days.

Part of me wishes that I had done something impressive while I was in high school so that I could have my name on a plaque or on a banner somewhere in that building for posterity. But I was a quiet, studious kid; the closest I came to notoriety was the National Merit Competition but in the end I didn't even qualify as a finalist. It's been awhile since I've been back there but I suspect now that they must have changed the banners out every ten years or so anyway as none of the records were particularly old. So it' no great loss.

Someone who will always be remembered at his high school is Mr. Bronson Arroyo. Some kid fifty years from now will be playing for the Hernando High School baseball team in Brooksville, FL and ask to wear number 1 and his coach will say "Sorry kid. Bronson Arroyo wore number 1. It's retired." And the kid will say "Bronson who? The guy wore the number seventy years ago. If he didn't screw up his heart because of the drugs he took, then he's probably a doddering, old man who can't tell his ass from his elbow." [Aside: If you think kids today are rude and self-centered, just wait until you meet the ones fifty years from now.]

It's nice to be remembered, though.

No comments: