Thursday, January 21, 2010

Number Twenty-Eight: Jerry Remy and Don Orsillo.


I wouldn't say that I was ever sick of Jerry Remy. There was a time when the self-promotion got a little out of hand and that Rhode Island accent could drive a sane person to kick puppies but, as is often the case, most of the time you don't realize just how wonderful a thing you've got until it's gone. And when Jerry was gone last year it became obvious just how much he is the soul of that broadcasting duo.

I really liked Eckersley's commentary. I liked Dave Roberts' commentary--his crush on Ellsbury was adorable. I thought Don Orsillo did a fabulous job of building a rapport with whomever he happened to be sitting next to that day. But the two of them together far surpass anybody else.

Intelligent, insightful, knowledgeable, often humorous commentary makes for must-see T.V. Almost to the point where I've considered recording a game I've attended in person, not so that I can see if I was on television but so that I don't miss anything.

And so Jerry Remy and Don Orsillo get spot twenty-eight on the list.

(And yes, I do see the hypocrisy in lifting a photo from the Remy Report in the same post I complained about it.)

No comments: