Monday, January 25, 2010

Just Ducky.

I liked Jason Bay. He seemed like a nice guy. If he wants to be sullen and spend time and effort justifying why he's playing for the Mets--well, I can understand that. The Mets are a disaster and I feel for the guy. The whole Rob Bradford piece came across as sour grapes and was best ignored, though. But The Sporting News has a sweet little story from Bay's last stint with the Mets and Jose Reyes:

"He didn't speak one word of English, I didn't speak one lick of Spanish," Bay recalls. "We stayed at a hotel that was about five blocks from the ballpark. I knocked on his door every day at 2. 'Are you ready?' He'd say, 'Yep, yep, yep.' We'd walk to the park and not say one word because we couldn't. When the game was over, we'd shower up and I'd say, 'You ready?' 'Yep, yep, yep.' We walked back to the hotel or get some food. I ended up being his off-the-field chaperon.

"Because of that, I followed his career more than most people would think. When the Red Sox played an exhibition at Citi Field last year, I was talking to him about how his English had gotten a lot better. He got a big smile and said, 'Yep, yep, yep.'"


Aww.

No comments: