Thursday, March 12, 2009

Where Everybody Knows Your Name.


Todd English has a reputation of being an ass, but being a culinary professional it's to be expected. He also looks like a ghoul. But the man knows food and he knows how to cook. I don't know how much autonomy his head chefs have but he also seems to have a sense of humor.


Introducing the A-Roid available at Todd English's Bonfire Steakhouse as part of their new Red Sox menu. I seem to recall that Bonfire had some sponsorship of the pre-game show on NESN last season. The A-Roid is a shot of tequila with a chaser of spicy tomato juice. The chaser of juice comes served in a syringe. Clever, eh?


I'm almost always against gimmicky food and cutesy names for dishes. I don't take too many things seriously but food is one of them. When a chef feels the need to make his dishes 'fun', it makes me feel like he's hiding. A good meal shouldn't need any enhancements to be enjoyed. Maybe it's because it's tequila and, for the life of me, I cannot envision myself downing a shot of a tequila while seated at a restaurant table or maybe it's because taking jabs at Alex Rodriguez is amusing but I'm alright with this.

No comments: