Thursday, March 19, 2009

This Boot is Made for Walking.



Kevin Youkilis has left the WBC and returned to Fort Myers with a case of Achilles tendinitis. He enjoyed his time on Team USA and was quick to point out that the tournament wasn't responsible for his injury:

“I didn’t get hurt playing in the WBC. I could probably go out right now and probably play if need be. But it’s not in my best interests right now. I need time to recuperate. If I don’t stay in this boot for three days, this will linger the whole season for me. This is something I had to do. I had to come home. It’s not easy for me to walk away from playing baseball — ever. Especially with Team USA. But this is something that was in the best interests of the Red Sox and the best interests of myself. This year is about playing for the Boston Red Sox and winning a championship.”

This is true. Tendinitis is a repetitive stress injury (micro-tears in the tendon) and it wouldn't have a sudden onset from a single event. Have him clomp around in the boot for a couple of days, with the ankle immobilized to reduce pulling on the tendon, and he should be fine.

No comments: