Friday, January 18, 2008

Ped-roy-a

I spent all morning thinking about what I was going to say about Mike Lowell (and I will get to that) but have since decided to start with the sweet little interview with Dustin Pedroia in the Herald today.


Not that he looks sweet and innocent there but...

Basically, he talked about what is was like to win last year, his wrist, and working out for next season. Here's what he had to say:

"I didn't know what the feeling was going to be like once we won the World Series, but you definitely want to do it again, you want more. It was so exciting, so much fun, you want to do it every year. I know it's kind of unrealistic, but we're going to give it our best shot."

and

“Sometimes when I’m driving in my car by myself, I’ll think about how much fun the season was and what we all did together, but it’s mostly about getting ready for next year and trying to do it again.”

and

“...I’m just going to be who I am, not try to do too much. Play good defense, get on base and let those big guys drive me in, that’s all I can ask for.”

See, this is the type of thing that makes me smile. He's a happy, confident adult but he's got this sweet, innocent side to him. There's a little bit of reluctance to access that side of himself but I think he should just revel in it.

He had this to say about his wrist:

“I’m good, I’m fine. A week after I got my cast off, it felt fine. I did all the rehab and I’ve been hitting since the first of the year.”

and

"No pain, man, that’s about it. It’s pretty common, not a big deal. Once I got that thing out, I could feel it the first day.”

The first quote is good news. The second, well, I have no idea what he's actually talking about. I suppose that it's the last part that confuses me. I suppose the interviewer probably asked if he was in pain, which would explain the first part of the quote. Then Pedroia decided to downplay the injury in the second part. I think the "that thing" in the third part must refer to his hamate bone but I don't understand what he could "feel the first day." The bone? Did they give it to him as a souvenir?

He's spent his winter working out at the Athletes' Performance Institute in AZ with Youkilis and Manny; twice per day, six times per week. He's been focusing on speed, agility, and, apparently, Ping Pong.

No comments: