Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Craig Breslow, no. 54

I suspect that the baseball gods are conspiring against me. Everytime I decide to abandon this project, I end up reading an article (like this one) that makes me feel guilty for not finishing. Craig Breslow was, actually, the next guy on my list but I've gotten so far behind that I'm going to have to start doubling up if I still want to finish before spring training.






Birth Date: August 8, 1980 in New Haven, CT

Height/Weight: 6'1", 185 lb.

College: Yale University (majored in molecular biophysics and biochemistry)

Contract: Last season he had a split contract-he earned $130,00 playing in the minors, $400,000 for time spent in the majors.


Craig didn't pitch in the bigs during 2007. At Ft. Meyers last spring he pitched 3 innings, struck out 4, walked 2, and allowed 1 hit. He was called up for a few days in September and is now out of options. There's just something appealing about him. He could have done the practical thing-gone to medical school and lived a normal life-big house in the 'burbs, wife and kids that he sees everyday-but he decided that he really wanted to play baseball. I know that he's a long shot but I really want him to succeed. If it's with the Sox: great! If they send him back down and somebody else grabs him, well, I suppose he'd have more of an opportunity. [Aside: Look how mature I'm being. Isn't it impressive?]

In Pawtucket, he was credited with 2 wins and 3 losses. He pitched 68.2 innings in 49 games. He started 1 game, finished 14 games, and saved 1 game. He struck out 73 batters and walked 25 of them. He allowed 78 hits and 38 runs (31 of them earned). He gave up 6 home runs. His WHIP was 1.380, which is about average.

He has a fastball that he typically throws in the high eighties but that can get up to ninety miles per hour; he also has a cut-fastball. He has an above average curve and an average changeup. He has excellent control but is inconsistent.

No comments: