Saturday, January 26, 2008

Just How Big is Red Sox Nation? Ask the Hedgehogs.



A tiny country nestled between Belgium, Germany and France, it's slightly smaller than the state of Rhode Island, but Luxembourg is home to at least two of its' own baseball teams.


Their website is in French so I can't tell you too much about the Hedgehogs but apparently they have their own little dynasty going on-they've won the Luxembourg Championship five times in a row. They've got themselves a properly kitted-out field; hot dogs and beer at home games.


The outspoken member of their team is a Dennis Noonan from Boston (and as the article points out: of course, a Red Sox fan) had this to say:

“I love playing baseball again! Since the team has a mix of different
nationalities and a sportsmanship philosophy of playing well and showing respect for each other, and opposing teams....And I thought my baseball days were over when I moved to Luxembourg 8 years ago!”


Also, I'm totally not making fun of them. If I was transferred to the Paris office for work I would be torn. Paris is, well, awesome but to be reduced to watching baseball on the computer? I get squirrelly enough in the off-season, I can't imagine going for any real length of time without it. Plus, I would have to learn French. I wonder if there are any Parisian baseball teams looking for a DH (I can't throw and I can't really catch but I used to be able to hit pretty well.) I do think they should change their mascot to Sonic, they're missing a real opportunity there, but otherwise: Rock on.


No comments: