Thursday, November 1, 2007

Papelbon on Letterman



I don't know much about Jonathan Papelbon. I do know that he has often inspired concern in me along the lines of: What is that man on? But not last night. Last night on Letterman, he seemed like a fun, happy, witty guy. He seemed almost normal.

He did well (perhaps his internal editor could be a little quicker on the uptake) but he held his own. I wish I could remember more clearly (but The Late Show is, in fact, on late and I've been behind on my sleep this week). I was hoping to include the clip but no one seems to have seen fit to grab it off the show. Anyway, he talked about pitching, dancing, and how he feels about players from other teams.

There were two flashes of brilliance. The first was when he was talking about being on deck and being pretty sure that if he had to hit, he was going to go deep. A nice moment of self-deprecation there. The second was when he (hopefully) coined a new nickname for David Ortiz. Because, how awesome would it be if next season you heard: "The designated hitter tonight, David 'The Bedazzler' Ortiz"? Pretty awesome.

Other than that, it was sort of banal. Which is kind of disappointing for my adrenaline-junkie closer (but also a little bit comforting). I don't think he lived in Louisiana for very long but I had developed an image of him as a crazy Cajun. The kind who would play chicken in a fan-boat, or who would pole a pirogue out into the bayou for the express purpose of getting lost and then finding his way out Survivor-man-style. In my head, he wrestled alligators.

Turns out, he's just a nice normal guy. Oh well. Guess it makes life easier for his wife. I was a little worried about how she was going to deal with the insane person living in my head.


No comments: