Friday, November 23, 2007

Feliz Cumpleanos Cinco Ocho!

(Yes. I know there should be a tilde over the 'n' but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to make that happen.)




Today is Jonathan Papelbon's 27th birthday, so we have (maybe) three-year-old baby Papelbon to celebrate. Perhaps it's not a fair assumption to make, but I'm going to assume that the two of them share the same birthday. (I did, in fact, lift the photograph from outincenterfield.)

Honestly? I don't know how anyone could not adore the man. On top of his mad baseball skills, he's got a great personality. He did make those hideous car commercials and I could only stomach a little bit of the QVC (at least I think it was QVC, it might have been HSN) appearance, but I really looked forward to the Friendly's Scoop thing.


He just seems like a really great guy. Not a great guy in the same sense that Mike Lowell is a great guy but a great guy, nonetheless. Mike Lowell is a smart, suave guy; the type with whom you would have a sophisticated conversation about art and wine. Jonathan Papelbon would be great to have a beer with. Maybe wrestle some alligators.

When his shoulder finally gives out on him, I would imagine he could easily get a job in broadcasting. He'd be really fun to watch and he could live out George Costanza's dream.


George: ...you know how I always make good comments when we're watching the
game.

Jerry: Yeah. You do make good comments but they tend to give
those jobs to ex-ball players and, you know, people in broadcasting.

George: That's not really fair.

Jerry: I know.
(It's a good day when you can work a Seinfeld quote into what you're doing.)


Anyway, back to Mr. Papelbon. Many happy returns to you, sir.


Nice. Nice.

No comments: