Friday, December 18, 2009

Thin Ice.

Jason Varitek was back at Fenway earlier today along with some old Bruins to test out the ice before the Winter Classic. WBZ has video. Oddly, and it might just be the giant coat but his legs look really skinny.

He also spoke with the media while he was there. Edes has the full transcript but Varitek speaks with such strange syntax that it's sometimes difficult to figure out what he's trying to say when it's written down. Plus, he has a weird issue with tenses.

So, I knew that being a catcher was hard on the joints in your legs but I didn't realize just how difficult it must be. Says Varitek on the last time the season ended without him being in pain:

"I don't know. But one good thing, at the end of the season I didn't play as much, so my sea legs came back a lot quicker. Usually the determining point of ... when I can start training is if I can go down the stairs straight. I don't have to sidestep to get down the steps. Then my body is feeling pretty good. You can't play that position. Once you're down and the adrenaline leaves the system, something's going to hurt.''

Geez, man.

No comments: