Monday, December 14, 2009

But Which Is Theo?



Busy Day.

I like John Lackey. I like John Lackey. I like John Lackey. I figure that if I start repeating it to myself now, I'll be able to convince myself of it by spring training. If Manny and Papelbon can be charming, then so can Lackey, his ugly mug, and his hissy fit throwing ways.

It's a good move, though. (Even if it is, seemingly, superfluous.) Dependent on the health of his elbow, he's a good pitcher; easily a top of the rotation starter on most teams. He's a fierce competitor, if the past ALCS is any indication. And it frees up Theo to move Buchholz for a bat, if necessary. I like Clay but if he becomes all that he can become, how much better than Lackey will he really be? Plus, it keeps him away from the Yankees--which, while it should never be the main motivation of making a move--is always a nice bonus. And it's a kick in the teeth to the Angels.

All that money on Lackey (and five years does seem like a long time) almost assuredly means that the Sox have moved on from Bay. But this Mike Cameron rumor, coupled with my love of slick fielding centerfielders almost makes up for it. Maybe.

No comments: