Friday, November 27, 2009

Come Live With Me and Be My Love.

Username: BoSox2010
Headline: Just an Old Baseball Club in Search of a Shortstop.
Vitals: 105 years old, Boston, MA


About Me: First things first, the obligatory: Personal ads are always so hard to fill out. How do you say that last season you were a pretty good baseball club, consisting of (relatively) decent people, who pitched pretty well, scored a lot of runs, and won a lot of games, without sounding like you're full of yourself? And if you succeed in doing that, how do explain why you're once again heading into the holiday season without a reliable shortstop to share it with--without sounding like you're a waste of time? I'm really not a bad ball club to play for. I'm dedicated to winning and playing in the post season. I'm competitive. I have a worshipful (albeit slightly crazy) fan base. I've been burned in the past and am sometimes a little wary to start out but I'm looking forward to taking some chances and seeing who's out there.

About the One I'm Looking For: I smile when I think of you. You might not be overly flashy or sexy but you are competent. You're cool and collected. You're goal oriented and nothing is going to stand in you're way. You're so comfortable in your own skin that you don't have to be the star. You don't make waves or cause a fuss. You've got a pleasant personality and you're interested in something--anything will do.

My Idea of a Perfect First Date: You go one for two with a pair of walks and an RBI. You play passable defense--I'm not asking for anything spectacular--you make the routine plays; maybe turn a double play or two.

My Perception of an Ideal Relationship: I'm not looking for a long term commitment. (My last shortstop left me to go to Toronto because I wasn't ready to commit to him yet.) We'd spend a lot of time together but nothing too serious. We get along. We laugh. I'm comfortable, you're comfortable. And we work together to help each other be better.

What I've Learned From Past Relationships: For the past five years, I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to fill the void left by my last great love. It hasn't been easy. I've been picking up bits and pieces along the way but none have been able to fulfill that role. I've learned that not everyone can play here. And while I thought that I could deal with sub-par defense if it might come with an improved offense, that doesn't seem to be the case. At the same time though, all glove and no bat won't cut it either.

Sound like you? I'd love to hear from you. Ask for Theo.

No comments: