Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Little Bright Spot.



Admittedly, melancholy has settled in over the past few days. Baseball is over, winter is coming; it's all very depressing. The most clear evidence of my melancholy? I was planning a weekend trip to Portland and the environs and the places I planned to stop were literally cheese shop, chocolate shop, bakery, bakery, and brownie shop. Although it has been easier to get dressed in the morning when I can just pull things out of the closet without worrying about the amount of luck that was woven into the fabric. (I told you that I had issues.)

So where does one find joy when baseball is over and over rather cruelly? In the lack of suckiness from Mr. Clay Buchholz in that last game. It was a good outing for any pitcher and for a pitcher who seemed to be prone to the yips, it was a remarkable performance. And yeah, he seemed to get a little bit into his head when he loaded the bases without nobody out but other than that he seemed to be in control.

Said Clay:

"I didn't feel as nervous in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th inning. It was a good thing. It was a game that I felt like I could pitch in. I've been on this club for parts of three years now, and hadn't been able to make a postseason appearance, so it was fun for me."

And (about being in next season's rotation)

"I'll take the job, and be up here all season next year, and actually be a part of the team for a full season, and go to the postseason, and make next year better than this year. That's my goal."

I'm growing to really like that goofy looking kid.

No comments: