Saturday, May 16, 2009

Vapor Lock.

It's funny how things change. A week or two ago you'd be crazy if you counted this team out before the final out was recorded but there was a finality to Jon Lester giving up those runs. The game was over, there was no come-from-behind magic to be had on the road.

It started out well enough (four runs in two innings, a single, a double, and a triple for Ellsbury) but then it just kind of stalled. I don't know what happened. Complacency? The opposing pitcher (I'm not going to attempt to spell his name and I don't feel like looking it up) suddenly figured out how to not suck? Bad luck?

I'm digging the commentary of Dave Roberts but despite what he said, Lester again didn't look good and, quite honestly, he was lucky he was playing Seattle this time. He looked so defeated in the dugout afterward that my immediate thought was "I hope his dad is ok." (Which I probably shouldn't type for fear of rumor mongering but there you have it.)

Still, until the beginning of October there's always tomorrow (or, you know, twenty and a quarter hours from now.) And with Josh Beckett on the mound we turn to the Muppets' rendition of the Hawaiian war chant for extra inspiration:

No comments: