Friday, May 8, 2009

Better Than His Brother Joe.


I may have mentioned before that my Dad was a huge Dom Dimaggio fan. There was a time in the 1980s when I believed that Dimaggio still played for the Red Sox. Throughout my childhood there were three players my Dad talked about with any consistency: Roger Clemens, Wade Boggs, and Dom Dimaggio. Those were his guys. How was I supposed to know that one of them hadn't played in thirty years? (My Dad still thinks that it's very funny that I thought Dimaggio was playing well into his sixties. We can't all be comedians.)


I suspect that my Dad's love was originally based on the glasses. And, in turn, I suspect that my love of centerfielders was inspired by my Dad's love of Dimaggio.


Says his son of his father's passing:



DiMaggio died at about 1 a.m. with the Red Sox television replay of Thursday night's game on in the background, said his son, Dominic Paul.

"He was in and out of consciousness, but he was acknowledging it. He was a Red Sox fan until the end," his son said.


Godspeed Dom.

No comments: