Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Acey Duecy.


I haven't attempted to play poker in a very long time. I can play Setback. I can play Spit. I used to be able to play Gin Rummy. I can play War. I am really good at Uno, not as good at Crazy Eights. I got a little bit competitive at Hearts once--stacked the deck. People were upset; it wasn't pretty.


My Dad tried to teach me poker once or twice, five-card draw, seven-card stud (I think these are games), and after I got the hang of it declared myself to be a card sharp. The old man thought this was particularly funny and insisted that the term was card shark. And so the poker lesson dissolved into an etymological lesson and started the hunt for the actual term (we were both right but I was more right) and where it could possibly have come from.


If you do play the game though, on June 8 there will be a poker party in Faneuil Hall (and subsequent golf tournament) to benefit Pitching in for Kids; which raises grant money for children's charities. The event will be hosted by Tim Wakefield and Jason Varitek.

No comments: