Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Sweet Deal.


Watching Jacoby Ellsbury play in last night's game saddened me. My favorite player has almost always been the guy out in center field. I love spectacular catches and the stunning athleticism that goes into them. Torii Hunter, Adam Jones, Curtis Granderson, even Carlos Gomez. I love to watch those guys play. But I don't love Ellsbury, at least not anymore than any other member of the team.

So, why? Why is Ellsbury different? It's more than needing to distinguish myself from the teeny-boppers. It's that he's always struck me as boring. It seems to me that he does the right thing, says the right thing, and goes about without an original thought in his head. It's very (forgive me) Jeter-like; very white bread.

I suppose that it's not really fair. Beside Curtis Granderson (whom I adore beyond words), I don't know if any of my other center-fielders are interesting as people. But that's just the way it is. Skimming the paper this morning, however, may have caused me to rethink my position on Ellsbury just a little. Describing the catch of Pat Burrell's gapper:

"Go. Go. Gadget-Arm."


It made me smile. And he may be in need of an upgrade. I'm thinking seedless-rye. But he gets points taken off for getting the Inspector Gadget theme song stuck in my head, so maybe only whole-wheat.

No comments: