Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Breaking Up is Hard to Do.

I've been thinking about Jeff Bailey a lot since yesterday, almost to the point of obsessing over him. I just don't seem to be able to let it go. It's the same as when they let Craig get away last spring or traded away Brandon Moss. And it's similar to giving away Manny or even Covelli. It's choosing J.D. Drew over Trot. It's not ponying up the money to keep Damon. It's signing Bronson on the cheap only to consign him to Cincinnati or shipping Nomar off to Chicago. It's a symptom of a larger problem I have with the Red Sox organization: there's a lack of respect for the wishes of the fans. They just don't seem to care about their fan base.

They're a marketing machine that exists for the sole purpose of lining John Henry's immense pockets and, to a lesser extent, those of Tom Werner and Larry Lucchino. And what's more, they're good at it. They seem to spend less money every year and interest in the club continues to grow. They don't care about the grand traditions of baseball. And as long as revenue continues to increase, they will continue to not care.

And so I think it may be time to take a little break. It's not that I've fallen out of love with baseball, that certainly isn't the case, it's just that I'm having trouble with the machinations of the Red Sox at the moment. I may do better to invest my time in a minor league club; their more about pure, honest baseball than any major league club could be. Or, you know, April Fools.

No comments: