Thursday, May 15, 2008

Happy Birthday Kitten!




Today marks the twenty-eighth anniversary of Joshua Patrick Beckett's appearance in the world. In honor of his birthday I've decided to be kind but am having trouble thinking of anything to say.


I suppose that, with the exception of doting parents, he was probably a few years off from anyone imagining what the baby-faced kid from Texas would eventually become. But as much as I find joy in making fun of him, you have to admire the dedication and hard work he must have had to put in to become what he has become. So what if in the process he skipped a few lessons on interpersonal skills and as a result, is a crap public speaker? So what if most of the time he appears to be an unappealing combination of surly and sullen? (I kid because I love.)


Josh, kitten, be happy. It's allowed. Sure, the best description of your smile might be to call it: goofy. And I imagine that, should you ever laugh, you would probably snort whilst doing it. But given where your life has taken you, neither of those reasons are good enough to not be exuberantly happy. Genuinely smile every once it a while-it won't hurt.

No comments: