Monday, May 26, 2008

Cool! A Maori!



Is that offensive? It might be. I don't mean it to be if it is.

The Sox have signed a sixteen year old Australian Maori called Boss Moanaroa. He heads to Florida sometime soon for a couple of weeks of strength and nutrition training. Then, from the sound of it, he goes back to Australia to finish up school (which is good.)

A couple of things:

1. How's that for diversity? North Americans, Central Americans, South Americans, Asians, and now Australians. Nifty.

2. How cool of a baseball name is Boss? Pretty cool.

3. This is probably terribly condescending but he probably has an absolutely adorable accent. I imagine that he speaks like the gal from Whalerider-I know that she was from New Zealand (and if I learned anything last summer it was that New Zealand is a different country from Australia. They have vikings there.)-but she's Maori and the guy who played her father, Cliff Curtis (beautiful eyes on that one) he's Maori, as well. I've only ever heard of Maoris in New Zealand [Aside: shows how much I thought I knew about Australasia. I thought a Maori was a native Kiwi. I suppose it's possible for people to move, though.] so that's the accent I've attributed to all of them. He probably sounds like an Australian, which while not as adorable is still quite cute. Much better than listening to J *snore* D *snore* Drew from Ha*snore*hi*snore*ra, Geor*snore*gia. Nothing against the guy, but sometimes I just want to yell at him "Talk faster!"

4. Also, one of the first results of a googling will bring you to his Bebo page. Kid has no sense of style but either owns, or has access to, a really nice car.

No comments: