Friday, December 21, 2007

In Defense of Red Sox Fans



Terry got a write-up in the December 31 issue of ESPN magazine. There's nothing too substantive to it. He talked a little bit about his dad and growing up in baseball, managing Michael Jordan, cribbage, sticking to his guns, handling the media, spitting, and his health.


The writer of the article seems to think that nobody appreciates Terry enough or gives him enough credit for what he has done for the Red Sox. This is not true. Yes, there are armchair manager types who figure they know best but that's not a Red Sox/Terry Francona phenomenon. And yes, he does spit a lot (and I cringe every time I have to see it).


But that doesn't mean he isn't appreciated. I appreciate him. Hell, I sent him ten bucks to buy lunch for himself and to thank him for all he has done.


I don't imagine that managing a baseball team is an easy task. I can't imagine it would be any easier when the team is composed of so many "personalities." Yet, he seems to do it with grace and finesse; gaining the respect and admiration of his players. I think he is gaining the respect of the fans, as well. Why else would we have been so up in arms about the Francona Rule?

No comments: