Sunday, December 16, 2007

Has Anyone Seen my Underwear?



"Bidders Batty for Manny's BVDs" so read the headline on The Boston Herald's Inside Track. My first thought: Good God! What is he up to now?


Turns out that it is not, in fact, Manny selling his underwear but a memorabilia store employee (hopefully the owner, I wouldn't want to be given that assignment by my boss), Phil Castinetti. It seems that Phil dug through the trash at Fenway to retrieve his prizes. In addition to Manny's underwear and do-rag, he netted Tek's, Matt Clement's, Okajima's, Youkilis', and Papelbon's underwear, as well. Maybe ol' Phil is less squeamish than I am but I've got to assume that these are unwashed, caked in dry sweat, and probably reek pretty badly.


Manny's hand-me-down underwear earned Phil $160. Tek's brought in $255. Weirdly, a pair of Matt Clement's underwear (perhaps because it was in the most pristine condition: the least sweaty and smelly) is worth $430 to someone; someone who happens to go by the handle: Clement30.

No comments: