Monday, December 3, 2007

Francona Rule? How about: Francona rules?



This has really ruffled my feathers.

I've got no problem with a dress code. I'm not allowed to wear provocative clothing to work. The rules are there for a reason; in my case, to maintain a professional atmosphere.

If major league baseball wants to maintain a professional appearance on the field, then that's fine. The thing is, I don't think that Terry looks unprofessional. It's not like he's showing up to games in a Man Utd jersey, a Packer's hat, sweatpants, and flip flops. It's official MLB gear, for God's sake (it probably even came with a niftly little hologram attached to it), not an old sweatshirt speckled with paint from some home improvement project.

What really bothered me, though, was the utterly unprofessional and condescending tone of the press release. Plenty of managers wear pullovers, so why call out Francona specifically? Also, a nightshirt? Seriously? Maybe Bob Watson is too cheap to turn on the heat and needs to sleep in fleece or maybe he's old-fashioned enough that he actually has a night shirt and cap that he wears to bed but come on.

Anyway, Terry himself said it was actually not a big deal so I guess I'll try to put it behind me.

In other Terry news, he was named manager of the year by Baseball America. So good on him for that.

No comments: