Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Keeping the Faith.

Is this where I admit that I couldn't watch the end of that game? After last night, I couldn't bear to do it again. Intellectually, I understand that this team might not be able to do anything this year. But the heart wants what it wants and what it really wants is for them to beat the Yankees. Yesterday's loss left me really raw and the baseball gods were standing there with a giant handful of salt, ready to throw it in the gaping wound, so I turned it off.

Do I feel guilty? A little bit. I'd like to think of myself as more than a fair weather fan. If you don't suffer the losses, you shouldn't celebrate the wins. Do I wish that I had seen it? Absolutely. (Which is the problem. If they hadn't one, I'd be patting myself on the back for being sparing myself the agony.)

The other part of the problem, though, is that the flicker of hope wasn't extinguished; which only sets up further anguish down the road. Part of me now believes that they might essentially go on a twenty-one game winning streak and get themselves close to 40-20; which is a fabulous record.

No comments: