Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Breaking his (partial) Silence.

Reuters Pictures


Mike Lowell has not been one to really talk to the media since spring training started but after today's game he spoke about the challenge of playing first:

"I am feeling more comfortable. I was actually glad I got a ball in the dirt and a chance to hold some runners on--just doing more of the responsibilities. There are definitely different things you have to concentrate on but I think the two positions are related. You're involved in a lot more plays, which is better. I would say it's a lot more comfortable position to play because you don't need to make that throw [from third to first]."

and the chattiness involved in playing first:

"Absolutely. I was asked how the kids and family are doing. Is this guy making the team? When the first base coach is up with a runner on first, you almost can't help but talk. When I got to first, I would say hi to the first baseman and all of that but you're almost gone in three or four pitches.

"I feel like I know [Pirates first base coach Carlos] Garcia. He's almost like family after just five innings. No wonder everybody loves Sean Casey so much. He knows your whole family history. A lot more talk, a lot more talk. More bantering."

He also talked about the lack of improvement in his hip:

"With X-Rays and what I've done, I think what I was not aware of was best case
scenario was status quo post-surgery. Meaning whatever cartilage damage I had, which was technically was pretty signficant on the hip side, it wasn't going to get better. I don't know if it was my optimism. But I do believe it was what I was told -- that it was going to get better.

"In that sense, would I compare it to like I was running like in '07? I would say no. So in that sense it was a little disappointing. I still stand that I am better than last year. There's a certain condition in the hip that I don't think will ever allow me to get the point where I was in '07 or prior. In that sense, of course that's disappointing but I think once I got more educated in what happened with the surgery, and I have more range of motion now that can cause more friction, it makes more sense."

He seems really down about the hip, which is too bad.

No comments: