Saturday, August 15, 2009

But the World Goes 'Round.

I'll spare you the actual song but the relevant lyric: Somebody loses and somebody wins/ One day it's kicks, then it's kicks in the shins.

That was less fun.

For most of yesterday's game I sat here and for the first time this season thought: They've run into a team that's better than they are. They weren't playing poorly (as they are sometimes wont to do) they were just being outplayed. Then they had their ninth inning and everyone was happy and I could stop contemplating jumping ship for Yankee Universe. (It's a much easier group to be a part of: You don't have to know a damn thing about baseball. You don't have to care about the team. You don't even have to know who's on the roster. All that matters is winning and being as loud and obnoxious as you can be. I could root for Alex Rodriguez or *shudder* Derek Jeter--Stop laughing. I swear I could.)

Tonight, though? Not so much. Brad Penny wasn't too, too awful. The outfield defense was somewhat lacking tonight. And he would have been greatly helped by a catcher who could throw people out. And I may have to go back to threatening Ramon Ramirez with deportation back to KC.

The gauntlet has been thrown fellas. I certainly hope that they're up for the challenge.

No comments: