Thursday, December 25, 2008

Tough Economic Times.

$14 million just doesn't go as far as it used to.

Sometimes I feel a little bad about making fun of JD Drew. He seems like a sincere, down-to-earth, decent human being. These are all qualities that I would normally openly admire in a person. I guess my concern is that it seems like he wouldn't get the joke. But somethings just have to be commented on. Somethings cannot be allowed to slide.

There's a nice little heartwarming story about Christmas at the Drew's in the Herald today. The gist of the article is that his son is doing better and is starting to get the whole Santa thing. But then he very casually drops this:

"We pulled up to a Wal-Mart right after the offseason began, and there was a little miniature toy house outside with the toy display. I didn’t even notice it at the time. Later, when we took him to see Santa Claus, he told him he wanted a house with a doorbell. For the life of me, I couldn’t figure out what in the world he was getting at.

Later, when we brought him back to Wal-Mart, he pointed to that house again. It had a little battery-powered doorbell to it. And you know how little kids think. So he’s all fired up about a little house that has a doorbell.”

JD Drew shops at Wal-Mart. And it wasn't just the one time emergency stop, either. Oh no. They went back to Wal-Mart. I know you live in rural, rural Georgia but really? Wal-Mart? Really?

No comments: