Saturday, December 6, 2008

Fun in the Sun.



The party is on down in the Dominican as David Ortiz's golf tournament got underway today. You know when some tiny little minor puzzle presents itself and you become absolutely obsessed with figuring it out? No? Just me? Well, I've been staring at this picture for an inordinately long time trying to figure out whose jersey the person in front of David is wearing. It looks like it has an "o" and an "n" at the beginning of the name. It's probably ridiculously obvious but I can't figure it out.




Unlike that stupid jersey, the instantly recognizable Luis Tiant. Tiant is, once again, up for induction into the Hall of Fame via the Veterans' Committee vote. He's nonchalant about it, though:


"Those are the best players in the world there. That's as big an honor as any player could have. I'm not going to lose a day of sleep. I'm proud of what I do. I did what I never thought I would do in my life. If they pick me, fine; if not, fine. The game gave me a lot, more than I ever expected."



This one made me smile. I was reading an article in the Daily News this morning about Pedro's plans for next season. They wrote that he hopes to play next season but that he's made no effort to find a team yet and that his dad's death was really hard for him. The article also stated that he wasn't going to be playing in the tournament, which clearly seems to be wrong, so who knows.





Ignore the man on the right. Instead, admire the oh so dapper sweater vest that David wore for the tournament. He seems to have taken the idea of the golf outfit very seriously; in fact, it wouldn't surprise me if he was wearing plus fours.




Lastly, the ruddy complexion of Sean Casey. Sunburn? Windburn? Clearly the man's ancestors came from climes much further to the north.

No comments: