Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Glass Houses.

Ooh, misogyny! My favorite. Just what I was hoping for as I sat down to watch a baseball game! Fat women! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha...ha.

I know that there are people who are annoyed when Jerry Remy and Don Orsillo become bored and go off on a tangent but I'm not one of them. I figure that I have about the same attention span as Jerry; he starts to ramble generally around the same time that my mind starts to wander. I usually find the pair of them amusing. Today, however, we learned that Jerry Remy is a misogynist (I suppose that his son had to learn the behavior somewhere) and that Don Orsillo may be as well; it's either that or his moral compass is so shaky that it is easily disregarded, especially if he thinks that by doing so he will get an in with the cool kids. The whole thing was very juvenile. I was not amused.

Admittedly, my very first instinct was to fight back in kind: point out that no one anywhere would ever think to call Jerry slender or have a frank discussion about Don Orsillo's breasts. But that sort of response gets you labeled as a shrew or a harpy and shooed to the side and ignored.

So, reasoned discussion on why misogyny is bad. It just is. I think that I write this post every year. There is nothing inherently superior or inferior in the human genome. Gender comes down to the presence, or lack there of, of a Y chromosome. I was born without a Y chromosome; that fact might make you bigger than me, it might make you faster than me, it does not make you smarter than me, and it especially does not make you more capable of understanding a simple game than I am.

Don't tell me that it's not misogyny. David is fat. He was undoubtedly jiggling right along with his partner. And yet it was only David's partner that caused the pair of them to start snickering like a couple of junior high school bullies. They weren't laughing at her because she's fat, they were laughing because she's a fat woman.

Equally disturbing, the geniuses at NESN didn't tell them to shut up. So either there is no one in charge or the person in charge also thought that it was funny. And was cool with the idea that that caveman nonsense went out nationwide on the MLB network; it doesn't seem unlikely that anyone who happened to tune into the game would believe that NESN hates women. And I don't know that they would be wrong.

No comments: