Monday, June 9, 2008

Call it Homerism.

It may be a deeply ingrained fault but I really find it hard to dislike any of the guys on this team, no matter what level of jerky-ness they achieve in their real life. They might be terrible people or terrible baseball players but I can't help but like them. Hell, I like Lugo-I'm very afraid of the jockey impersonating a shortstop but I still like him. (Incidentally, given the way Javier Lopez pitched, I'm almost sad that I missed Colon's start on Friday.) Big Dougie fan. And even my opinion of Jon Lester is coming around. I like all of them-except for Kevin Youkilis.

There's no reason for it; nothing I can point to and say: That. That is the reason I don't like Kevin Youkilis. Something un-identifiable about him just rubs me the wrong way. And it just is. Don't get me wrong. It's not that I dislike him or that I root against him. I just can't bring myself to feel anything but neutral about him.

I would think that normally, a corny tv spot would do it. It would help him clear the last hurdle and join the ranks of baseball players in my affections. But nope. The Bernie's ad did nothing for me. I don't know; maybe, it's because he's not half-bad in it.

No comments: