Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Scintillating.

I was under the impression that Terry Francona wasn't an idiot. Guess I was wrong.

Francona's book, Terry Francona: The Red Sox Years, (titles are hard) comes out in a week. In order to create buzz, an excerpt of the book will be released tomorrow and because some people can't wait, exactly who these people are remains a mystery but they must be out there, there was the release of an excerpt of the excerpt today. And today's astounding revelation? Baseball is a business and owners, as businessmen, are super interested in their investment not losing money. 

"Our owners in Boston, they’ve been owners for 10 years. They come in with all these ideas about baseball, but I don’t think they love baseball. I think they like baseball. It’s revenue, and I know that’s their right and their interest because they’re owners — and they’re good owners. But they don’t love the game. It’s still more of a toy or a hobby for them. It’s not their blood. They’re going to come in and out of baseball. It’s different for me. Baseball is my life.”

 Here's a tip, my lovely: If you're going to a good old fashioned bridge burning, don't show up with a magnifying glass and a dry leaf.

If it's meant to be insulting, it doesn't do a very good job because insults generally lose their power when you take them back before you've even finished issuing them. It just comes across as very childish and honestly? I've had enough of childish baseball players. 

I generally liked Francona. I appreciate the work that he did during his tenure here. But the problem is that writing the book makes him a rat and rats are the most contemptible of people. 

No comments: