Monday, July 18, 2011

Beginning to See the Light.

"My takeaway is that we can beat the Red Sox and they know it. My takeaway from the 1-0 loss to the Yankees is that we can beat the Yankees, and they know it. We're not going away. It's just a temporary inconvenience right now."

Ah, Joe Maddon, my favorite aged hipster. They say you're a genius but I never really believed it: I saw a team of good players being led by Mike Scioscia-lite with questionable bullpen management. But this new strategy of not losing, just choosing not to win takes the cake. I can see it's value: you lie in the weeds all season and then right at the end, once you've gotten over the inconvenience of most of the season, pow! Nobody will see it coming. Of course, it probably would have been a more effective strategy if you hadn't said anything.

I'll be rooting like crazy for you and your stupid-little-hat loving self to choose to win your baseball game tonight but you really make it so very difficult.

No comments: