Sunday, October 21, 2012

Not Colin or Will.

"Every one who got to where he is had to begin where he was." --Robert Louis Stevenson

So. John Farrell, huh? I guess that he's not the worst choice.  With their current situation, and the likelihood that they aren't going to improve all that much next season, I might have preferred that they throw caution to the wind and really take a chance. But what's done is done. At least the announcement saved me a lot of typing -- we here at Rain Delay Theatre had cast Farrell into Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard and were in the process of trying to shoe-horn people into the other roles.

I don't mind Farrell's losing record. A team's record is largely a function of the talent on the field and that's not totally the manager's fault. Admittedly, I don't usually watch more that eighteen Blue Jay games a year but talk of immaturity, clubhouse anarchy, and laziness are a concern given the knuckleheads currently on the roster. Lackadaisical seems like a good descriptor of the team in Toronto, whether that was a failure of talent or a failure of management to correct the talent, it certainly seems like an issue that would need to be addressed.

But poor Clay! I really grew to like Clay this year but if we have to go back to deer-in-the-headlights, timid Clay who's ratio of pick off attempts to pitches is 60-1, I don't think that I can take it.

No comments: