Sunday, January 8, 2012

Vote for Danilo.

It's not that I don't care. It really isn't. It's just that there really hasn't been anything interesting to write about. At all. Giddily posting that Pedroia went to Las Vegas for New Year's Eve? Super not interesting.

Yesterday, I thought that I had something to write about, was all inspired and everything, but decided it was too heavy a topic and changed my mind. So then I came across this little bit of information today and it was perfect: interesting, fluffy (well, maybe not fluffy but definitely not heavy and melodramatic). Perfect.

The Dominican Republic is holding their presidential election in May of this year (bet you didn't know that) and it turns out that political endorsements by baseball players are no longer just for loud-mouthed, pushy, know-it-all pitchers. (Looking at you, Curt.) David Ortiz has backed Danilo Medina (link in Spanish) for president of the Dominican Republic.

From what I can gather from his campaign website, Medina seems to be running on a platform of helping the poor, eliminating corruption from the government, and improving the education system in the D.R. In the article linked earlier, it also mentions plans for improving health care for the seriously ill, which David and Robinson Cano both agree with. (I don't know. It says that they both said it. Simultaneously, I guess.)

I don't pretend to be the least bit politically savvy. I don't know if Medina is a good choice or not. I assume the other guy, Hipolito Mejia, isn't running a Jonathan Swift inspired campaign. I wouldn't have any clue how to address the issues in the D.R. I just thought that it was interesting.

No comments: