Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The British are Coming.


If you can find one sportswriter who doesn't set your teeth on edge, then you must embrace him and hope that he never, ever, ever retires. For me, it's Gordo; I'm an all Edes, all the time kind of girl. ESPN Boston is a godsend and has really removed any reason read the Globe or *shudder* the Herald. And with the recent deletion of Peter Abraham from my Twitter list (I enjoyed the snark during spring training but it quickly grew old) I find that, in addition to the world being a happier, more peaceful place, I haven't stopped by Boston.com in ages.

Reading the Globe's sports section is a chore; it's filled with self-important, combative goons and those are just the people who are paid to write for the site. If one chose to read the comment sections, then the idiocy would increase exponentially.

My point? I've got one in here somewhere. There has been talk about bringing a soccer game between two Scottish clubs, the Rangers and the Celtic (you can just imagine my confusion), to Fenway in July. Apparently, there was an opinion piece in the Globe yesterday that the game would be better played out in Foxboro because you wouldn't want to release mad Scotsmen into the streets of Boston. According to the piece, the Scots are so bad that they'd make Philly fans look tame. Scottish television then got wind of the piece and issued a rebuttal (which is how, with my boycott of the Globe, I backdoored into the story).

It would seem that the Globe's ability to piss people off is international, as the original article has drawn angry commentators from, presumably, Scotland. The interesting thing about the comments is that they generally aren't of the "We aren't that bad" or "Nobody actually booed Santa Claus" variety; they mostly seem to be "They're just as bad as we are."

I know that the troika is in the business of making money and that finding other uses for Fenway is an easy way to do that; concerts, and the like, bring in plenty of cabbage. But, personally, I'd keep soccer out of Fenway--especially, during the season. As it is, keeping the infield playable isn't an easy task; throwing a soccer field on it for a couple of days, doesn't seem like it would help the cause. Also, given the Scottish propensity for destruction (which they don't deny), I don't know that I'd trust them with Fenway. The old girl is a bit rickety and you wouldn't want to have do slapdash repairs because they tore out a few seats or burned the place down.

No comments: